1/23/14

Glorifying Busy.... a note from Rachel xo





I've always been a busy person. I've always been at my happiest when I'm busy. When I'm watching TV (having down time), I'm either on my iPad researching something, planning my week, or writing a list (I am a to do list geek) to keep my crazy self organized. I'm not good with idle spare time, I find I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm learning to change this and appreciate the quiet times. I've learned that sometimes you need take the long way home to enjoy the beauty of the countryside, sometimes the laundry or dishes can wait, and it's okay to say "No" sometimes. 

I recently experienced the loss of an old friend.  I hadn't seen her much in the last few years, life just always seemed to get in the way and coffee dates and visits seem to go by the wayside. I thought of her often and would have loved to see her, but all those pesky tasks and life just seem to be there waiting for me and I always thought I had more time. I realized I was wrong, and things need to change.  I'm making the effort to take time for me, time for my family, time for my work, and time for the life I want. 

It was perfect when Rachel sent me this post about her and how she feels about being busy. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT. I love this girl and agree with her completely. Thank you Rach for the lovely words, you have no idea how much they have hit home, and how much I think we all need to take care of ourselves, take a step back and just breathe. 

Love Tam xo 

~A note from Rachel ~ 

Isn't it funny how we can so easily get caught up in the “have to’s” of life? Constantly thinking about what is the next big deadline or appointment or goal we have made. We drive ourselves nuts with an abundance of ‘important’ commitments we make and must follow through with! When we finally squeeze in time with friends, we find ourselves reciting the same old update – “I’m doing well, but I am so incredibly busy lately.”

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We are glorifying busy.

This is a phenomenon recently brought to my attention by none other than my amazing and intelligent mother. We are glorifying busy. It is too easy to say that we are ‘too busy’ to go out, ‘too busy’ to try something new, ‘too busy’ to just let ourselves relax for a day. We get ourselves so wound up on teams, committees, work commitments, and projects that we have no time to really relish in the things that matter most –

We do not make time to enjoy the life we are working so hard to secure for ourselves.

Interesting, isn't it? It seems so simple when we say it like this. We should be taking time to enjoy the things we like, and not simply grinding through the things we feel we need to do.


The purpose of life is to be happy, after all.

After having this idea presented to me, I was all too eager to make a change. I want to build the life I want – and not the life I think that I should have. I want to do things I enjoy simply because I enjoy them, and not to get ahead in any sort of way.

I’m ready to make a change!


So I challenge all of you beautiful individuals who have stumbled upon this post to do one thing a day just for you - for fun – for the heck of it! Do things that make you happy because life is short and you are never too busy to have fun!

Love Rachel xo 


No comments :

Post a Comment